[AT] Pushrods bending Farmall B engine

toma toma at risingnet.net
Fri Oct 14 10:45:35 PDT 2005

My son and I are resurecting an IHC 55 W baler. It has the same basic
engine as a Farmall B. The engine sat with the exaust manifold full of
water for some time. Fortunately only one cylinder got water in it. We got
it freed up but the head was severely rusted. We broke 2 valve guides
trying to get the valves out. We replaced the head with one off a Farmall
B. The engine runs well but smokes from that one cylinder that was stuck.
The worrisome thing is we have had pushrods bend 2 times now. The first
time Bob thinks he may have had the adjustment wrong and the pushrods were
able to pop out. The second time an intake valve stuck open and the
pushrod came out and bent. I am wondering if there are subtle differences
between the industrial model engine on the baler and the A/B tractor
engine that could account for this or if anyone else has had pushrod
problems with these engines. The only difference I can see is the baler
engine had exaust valve rotators and the rockers were pressed steel. The
head we put on has no rotators and the rockers are a cast of some kind but
appear to be the same dimensions. We also have two styles of pushrods but
they seem to be interchangable. We are not trying to restore this engine
to as new condition at this time, just trying to get it running
dependably. We will probably only bale 500 bales a year with it but we
don't want it to break down in the middle of it.