[Steam-engine] The Wachs came back to life, today

Jeff Smith steamenginesmitty at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 13 21:03:07 PDT 2005

I will have to ask my father if he has any photos of
the engine.  He also knew the man that I talked with,
so he will have to let me know if the guy is still
breathing and his name.  The man told me that he had
totally rebuilt the engine end to end, got it back
into service and then the company closed their doors
so all it needed was a paint job when I got it.  I
eventually sold the engine because it was pretty big
and HEAVY!!!  Mine was a self oiler with a square base
and it held a bunch of oil.  I took the base off to
clean it inside and I think it almost weighed as much
as the engine.  It had a pump in the bottom and
covers on the side also.  It only had one flywheel
that was used as the pulley also.  It put the springs
almost on the frame of the trailer when I loaded it,
and that was a husky trailer.

I can't really tell from your photos, but mine looked
very similar, but seemed to have a lot more iron in
many places.  It was a piston valve, and I can
remember trying to lift the head off of the engine to
look inside and it almost took a hoist.  In todays
thinking, I don't think you would see that much iron
in a new car!!! The funny thing was that it was like a
7" or 8" x like 8.5", and that just seemed like
overkill to me.

I will have to dig out my steam photo box and see if I
have any photos, but I know that dad has at least one,
but he refuses to live in the computer age, so I will
have to get it from him and scan it and that can take
a loooooooooooooooooooooooong time for he is about six
states away.

Jeff Smith