[AT] OT

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Tue Oct 11 19:38:49 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 11 October 2005 06:34 pm, Richard Fink Sr wrote:
> Thanks to Everyone for the information. When i checked there must be 50 or
> so of them. On my old puter they would slow it down. I know some of them
> but not all.

This is a misconception, Cookies will NOT slow your computer down.  (At least
not until you get into the billions of cookies.)   They are a concern only
because they allow someone to track when you visit.  If you are completely
unconcerned about privacy you never need to delete cookies, if you are
paranoid (like me!) you will go through them often.

As a rule I NEVER allow any ad site to set a cookie - these sites can track me
between all the sites I visit and get a picture (if they care) of what I am
like.    The downside is this means they are less likely to learn that I'm
uninterested in things like feminine hygiene products, but overall I consider
the tradeoffs worth it.

Other sites I allow to set a cookie on a case by case basis.  Only when a
cookie is useful to me (not them, ME) will I allow it.   Need me to log in to
your site?   If I'm willing to log in I'm willing to allow a cookie.   If I'm
going to buy they will learn far more important things about me than a cookie
can ever tell, so I will give it.    Just set a cookie for not obvious reason
and I block it - but I'm paranoid about that.

There is a lot of other spyware that can be very harmful to your computer.  If
you are running Mac OSX, Linux, Windows 2000, or Windows XP, and religiously
install ALL the updates when they come out the large majority of the bad
stuff that can get into your computer is blocked.   Do not run Windows 98 buy
a new computer, or find a local expert to install linux for you.   (Linux is
actually easier to use than Windows, but every once in a while you come
across something that only an expert can do, while Windows would let you
muddle through.

I would recommend firefox over internet explorer if you haven't switched
already.  It isn't perfect, but it blocks a lot of the bad things that try to
get into your system.

If you buy a new computer, get a Mac.   It isn't perfect, but it is much
better for most people.