[Steam-engine] sand blasting a boiler

Ken Majeski fuller_johnson1 at msn.com
Tue Oct 11 17:29:39 PDT 2005

Well.... About 20 years ago I lightly sandblasted my 40 HP Case boiler. All
kinds of numbers showed up including a very nice clover leaf and S stamp.
And about 2 years ago Wisconsin adopted new rules requiring UT on Non ASME
boilers... And with the Nice Clover Leaf this one is exempt. Most Clover
Leaf S stamps are not too deep as it was stamped all at one time.

I have since did UT in a 4 X 4 3/8 inch grid in the firebox and numerous
readings on the barrel and it does calculate for more than my operating
pressure.

Heavy sandblasting does expand metal. Most noticeable on thin sheets. I
geuss I would not hit the caulking seams too hard. You don't need a white
surface for the paint or whatever you put on it to stick.

Ken Majeski, Ellsworth Wis. Case Steam Engine,  Rumely Oilpulls H, F, & R.
Website, Http://www.pressenter.com/~kmajeski/