[Steam-engine] sand blasting a boiler

HISTMACHRY at aol.com HISTMACHRY at aol.com
Tue Oct 11 15:55:20 PDT 2005

I have sandblasted numerous locomotive boilers, on the inside and out. All
appliances, valves, as well as the boiler tubes and flues are removed, we are
blasting an empty shell. The blasting can be aggressive enough to leave a white
steel surface of a partly rusty surface, what ever is desired. Removing the
sand from the firebox area takes time, but it can be done, the result is a clean
boiler with no scale to obscure defects, cracks, etc. Needlescaling can take
weeks to accomplish, with a result that is no were as clean as blasting. Also,
if the boiler interior is to be coated to prevent/slow the effects of
corrosion while in service, sandblasting prepares the surface nice and clean for the
coating to adhere to.

Metallurgically, sandblasting will not degrade the steel, if it does
then...scrap it!

Robert Yuill