[AT] Some ads from the 10/8 Lancaster Farming

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Tue Oct 11 09:02:58 PDT 2005

On 8 Oct 2005 at 17:43, Mike Sloane wrote:

> 1,000’s of old shoe laces, still v.g. cond., make offer.

	I still have an old file drawer of old laces from my 20
years as a cobbler. I once sat a full wheelbarrow of new
laces in the packages out at a flea market for some tiny
price but couldn't sell many. With laces most folks would
have no idea as to the huge number of types, lengths,
colors etc. that are needed to be kept on hand in order to
have anywhere near a complete stock. Then along comes the
fad stuff...   :-)
	One thing I had observed over the years was the propensity
of shoemakers to buy waaaay too much stock ahead. This was
mostly the older fellows that had come through the
shortages of WWII when rubber products were really hard to
get. My father and my uncle both kept too much stock on
hand and bought way too far ahead. Rubber soles and heels
"age out" and will look good but fail quickly. That was not
the kind of work I wanted to turn out. I did have the
advantage of only being about 25 minutes away from my
primary supplier (called a "finder" in the trade). I could
go about once a week and pick up what I needed. Other guys
not near a large city had always depended on a salesman
calling on them every month or two or less. When my uncle
died he had thousands and thousands of dollars of old stock
some of which was as old as 30 years that he had not been
able to get himself to throw away. I didn't like to use
rubber that was over about 3 years old. A cordwainer friend
here in town bought waaaay too much stuff on sale and even
though he was only in business about 5 to 8 years when he
retired he had at least $15,000 of unused stock still up in
his attic. He wondered why he was not showing a decent
profit...   :-)   Some salesman had convinced him that he
was saving a bundle by buying in bulk but he would have
been better off investing that money someplace else. Back
in those days a bank CD would have paid at least 12%. There
is almost zero market for that old stock when someone
quits.  When I retired from that business I doubt that I
had $500 of stock left. There were a couple of other
advantages for me to make a weekly trip to Indy as I also
bought stock and parts for the other businesses and we
generally ate lunch out on those trips which was a nice
break. (I had to use the "brakes" to take the "break")   :-
)   For a time we were recycling newspapers and we would
take a load (about a ton) up each week and it would pay
enough to pay for the gas, buy our lunch and sometimes
leave a couple of dollars left over. Today I'm not sure a
semi would do it...   :-)
	I was a very good shoemaker and my vendors often tried to
get me to enter my work in the national silver cup
competition but I had no interest in it. I am glad for the
memories of those days but I am glad that they are just
memories. My god how I hated putting zippers in tall
boots...   :-)

--
"farmer"
Hewick Midwest

The master in the art of living makes little distinction
between his
work and his play, his labor and his leisure, his mind and
his body,
his information and his recreation, his love and his
religion. He
hardly knows which is which. He simply pursues his vision
of
excellence at whatever he does, leaving others to decide
whether he
is working or playing. To him he's always doing both.
 ~ James A. Michener, attributed

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA
robinson at svs.net