Trailer safety (was Re: [AT] OT Darwin

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Oct 11 03:30:01 PDT 2005

I can't relate to any other rollback trucks except the two we had at the
dealership. The truck's PTO ran a hydraulic pump, and there was a knob
at the back to adjust the engine throttle (the engine had to be running
at a pretty good clip, or it would take all day to accomplish anything).
The winch and the tilt/slide/stabilizers all ran off the hydraulic
system, power in and power out with self centering valves. On the
smaller truck, there was a release for the winch spool, but it could not
be disengaged unless there was no tension on the line (and it was up on
the deck, so you couldn't easily get at it unless the deck was down. We
never chained anywhere but on the axles or sometimes (for small
tractors) on the fixed hitch, never on the torque tube or three point
hitch. We had small sheets of stiff rubber like material that we would
place around the axle if the paint was decent so the chain wouldn't chew
it up. Most of the new tractors and other machinery had factory
installed sturdy tie-down rings bolted on, and we took advantage of them
if available. The owner was somewhat casual about a lot of things, but
he would not have used a vehicle with a winch that wasn't 100% reliable.
We also used 5000 lb rated straps for some loads (implements, not
tractors), and we would replace them if they got cut or started to fray.
For the straps, we had plastic "corners" to put over sharp edges that
might cut the straps, but some guys were sloppy and neglected the
protectors, resulting in damaged straps.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

Political freedom cannot exist in any land where religion controls the
state, and religious freedom cannot exist in any land where the state
controls religion. -Samuel James Ervin Jr., lawyer, judge, and senator
(1896-1985)