Trailer safety (was Re: [AT] OT Darwin

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Mon Oct 10 14:42:14 PDT 2005

I'm amazed that the winch manufacturer paid, Charles.  There is no doubt
that the free wheeling function is the most dangerous aspect of those
winches.  They usually are nothing more than a pin that engages or
disengages on the high torque end of the power train.  So the constant
bouncing of a truck or trailer as it travels hammers against it like you
were using a riveting technique.  IMHO, if the owner is using the winch
as an active part of the binding technique, it should be considered as a
violation of the warrantee.  JMTCW.  On one of the trucks I used to use
when I was employed in a commercial repair shop, the free wheeling pin
was so messed up that it wouldn't disengage any more.  If I had known
then what I know now about how those things are constructed inside, I'd
have stopped using the winch altogether until it was replaced.  But at
the time I was happy, dumb, and ignorant of the issues concerning the
guts in them.

Larry