[AT] Ford Jubilee power loss and rain

charles bridges bridgescharles at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 10 05:39:33 PDT 2005

----- Original power loss and rain

> Well, we had no rain for almost 50 days here in upstate south carolina and
> then we got over 8 inches in less than 24 hrs. (That's as high as my
> raingauge goes).
>
> My gravel driveway wound up down by the house so I got out the Jubilee
with
> a scrape blade to drag it back up the hill where it belongs. I noticed
> whenever I got a good bite the tractor would just run out of power and
> almost stall. I didn't really hear the governor working and pulling the
> choke didn't help much, if at all. I'd have to press the clutch and raise
> the blade to keep the tractor from stalling.
>
> I dropped the carb and dissected it in the shop while watching the nascar
> race. There was a lot of crud in the bowl, some stuck to the floats, and
the
> float bowl needle was full of crap so I cleaned all that out and blew out
> all the passages I could see. The carb had always leaked when parked
before
> so I lowered the float level a little in hopes of stopping the carb
flooding
> I was avoiding fixing for the last 8 months.
>
> The gasoline stunk like it was bad, but I added three gallons of fresh gas
> to the 1-1/2 gallon of skunk gas in the tank. When I reinstalled the carb
> and went back to work the improvement was very noticeable but the tractor
> still lacked power under a load.
>
> My question is this- could the foul gas be responsible for the power loss
or
> do I need to look for governor problems? Has anyone ever experienced such
> big problem from old, not water contanimated gasoline?

I would go back and set the float to specifications first.  The amount of
gas in the bowl does affect how rich or lean it runs.

The trash around the needle and seat is probably what was making it leak and
not the float height .  Although if it was set too hight it could.  That is
why I say set it to specifications.  I don't have those spec's, but someone
on the list probably does.
Charles