[AT] OT Pop's passing

steve sewell sewell at oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Sun Oct 9 23:06:35 PDT 2005

At 03:33 PM 10/9/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm not sure if it is proper to write this here, but I think there are
>some on the list who would want to know.

Yes we do. We are a family. Spencer with the list and Portland have done
that. Not duplicated anywhere else on the Net. And I for one am proud to be
a part of it.

>My Pop died yesterday at age 97 years and 11 days.  He will be buried
>Wednesday on His and my stepmother's 38th wedding anniversary.  There were
>four of us family members to witness his last day.  He was only married to
>my mother for 32 years before her death at age 55.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. As you grieve his passing please also
celibate the life he lived. He was born and raised in the horse age - died
in the space age. His generation, that he outlived most of, saw and created
more change than any before it . A special time in history that he was part of.

>I think it may be interesting that my stepmother's stepmother of 66 years
>will leave the same nursing home tomorrow after recovering from a broken
>hip.  She's 99 and will be going back to live alone in her own
>home.  She's sharp as a tack and will spend a lot of her time knitting
>items for others. She's very regretful she won't be able to attend the funeral.

This sounds like my great-grandmother. Lived to be 100, at home. Kept up on
the news. It would be heaven on earth for her today with CNN, Fox, and etc.
She took the local paper along with the Columbus and Cleveland Ohio paper
and the Wall Street Journal. Could debate you on any subject, former school
teacher. As you say, sharp as a tack, till the day she died. And, I might
add, had no problem telling you what she thought . (-;
She passed on in the late 70's. I have the small brass bell that she used
on her school desk. Might be worth $$ as an antique. But no amount of $$$$$
could remove it from the top of my computer.

Take care, my friend.

- Steve

Steve Sewell
Albany, Ohio USA