[AT] Ford Jubilee power loss and rain

WF Smith WarrenSmith at PalmettoBuilders.net
Sun Oct 9 18:58:27 PDT 2005

Well, we had no rain for almost 50 days here in upstate south carolina and
then we got over 8 inches in less than 24 hrs. (That's as high as my
raingauge goes).

My gravel driveway wound up down by the house so I got out the Jubilee with
a scrape blade to drag it back up the hill where it belongs. I noticed
whenever I got a good bite the tractor would just run out of power and
almost stall. I didn't really hear the governor working and pulling the
choke didn't help much, if at all. I'd have to press the clutch and raise
the blade to keep the tractor from stalling.

I dropped the carb and dissected it in the shop while watching the nascar
race. There was a lot of crud in the bowl, some stuck to the floats, and the
float bowl needle was full of crap so I cleaned all that out and blew out
all the passages I could see. The carb had always leaked when parked before
so I lowered the float level a little in hopes of stopping the carb flooding
I was avoiding fixing for the last 8 months.

The gasoline stunk like it was bad, but I added three gallons of fresh gas
to the 1-1/2 gallon of skunk gas in the tank. When I reinstalled the carb
and went back to work the improvement was very noticeable but the tractor
still lacked power under a load.

My question is this- could the foul gas be responsible for the power loss or
do I need to look for governor problems? Has anyone ever experienced such a
big problem from old, not water contanimated gasoline?
--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.