[AJD] 1948 A Oil Pressure and Mag problems.

Chris C jdnutinwa at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 9 17:59:07 PDT 2005

   My 'Rattle Trap A'  ran for the first time today
since I bought it.  I was cheap in the paper,  wound
up having a bad block and head..  Good used block and
head made their way up here from John Boehm (sp?) and
I put it together but could not get it to run.  Today
I threw away yet another magneto and installed a Wico
XB distributor and it ran like a top.

     I recently bought some lower priced gauges off of
Ebay,  they say "Made in India" on them,  the
lettering isn't close to original, but hey they are
cheap and they look nice and this sucker is a work
tractor so it doesn't care..  The new gauge would only
show enough pressure to get it to the low/stop line.
The only gauge read in numbers and it read at 18 PSI.
I installed a third gauge and it also read at 18 PSI.
Of to the manual.  10-15 psi is recomended for an A.
Ok,  pressure is good gauge is bad??

   The gauge I bought was advertised as a numbered
series gauge 40,50,60 etc..  Did they run more
pressure than that A, B, D, etc..??  Or did I get what
I paid for?

   As far as the magneto goes, I seem to be having
real trouble with storing them.  I rebuld about 4 wico
C's  they all threw great spark on my tester,  but now
that they have sat in the garage for the summer one 2
of the 4 would work..  I have been told to store them
with a little piece of cardboard between the points?
Does anyone do this?  I have not opened up the
offending magnetos to see what is wrong yet.  Both of
them have new caps, cases,  rotors and points in
them..

    Thanks for the help in advance!

             Chris