[Steam-engine] Stainless vs. Sch 80

EJHottel at aol.com EJHottel at aol.com
Sat Oct 8 07:51:26 PDT 2005

I replumbed last year, used schedule 80 for all steam & feedwater  lines.
Replaced schedule 40 pipe installed in 1971. The steam lines were in good  shape,
the feedwater lines were badly rusted internally and were the reason for  the
replumb. The only operational problems I had encountered years ago were due
to rust in the suction lines getting into the injectors. After I switched to
brass for suction lines I never had that trouble again. Brass is more brittle,
 but in 34 years I had only one cracked fitting.

Jack Hottel
Peerless 50