[Farmall] gasoline/spark plugs

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sat Oct 8 04:08:50 PDT 2005

The problem, as I understand it, is that the older tractors are designed
to operate at full rated load and at "high idle" (maximum RPM) over long
periods of time, and the cooling systems are designed for that kind of
operation. When you do that, the plugs will not foul. But when you
operate at lower speeds and for short periods, the combustion chambers
and head will not get hot enough to properly heat up the plug tips.
Going to a "hotter" plug in the charts may help with low speed fouling,
but you run the risk of burning the plugs in normal operation. I have
been using D15Y plugs in all of my Farmalls (from 1948 Cub through 1964
706) with no (spark plug related) problems whatsoever. If you ignition
system is up to specification, there will be sufficient spark to light
off the fuel mixture, in spite of a little fouling. Additionally, this
is one reason why it is important to always keep your cooling system
operating properly - correct thermostat, tight fan belt, clean radiator
fins, etc. The reality is that the "cooling system" should really be
called the "temperature control system" - the engine needs to be quite
hot to run efficiently.

Second, it should also be understood that the octane rating of various
grades of gasoline is ONLY related to their ability to resist
pre-ignition (pinging) at higher compression. ALL other factors of the
fuel are identical - higher octane won't give you any more "power", burn
cleaner, smell nicer, or anything else. Any increased power obtained
from higher octane gasoline is only the result of raising the
compression ratio or possibly changing the ignition advance. At current
gas prices, you are just throwing good money into the manure pit by
going to a higher octane ("premium") fuel.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

  "A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses
both."    Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), US general & politician