[Steam-engine] Stainless vs. Sch 80

Orrin Iseminger oiseming at moscow.com
Thu Oct 6 07:01:00 PDT 2005

In my humble opinion, stainless steel would be overkill.  Furthermore, any
moisture carryover is bound to contain chlorides, giving rise to chloride
stress corrosion and subsequent cracking.

I've participated in model steam discussion groups.  Every now and then a
raging battle takes place: stainless steel versus carbon steel.  Nobody ever
gets their mind changed; they stand their ground.  It's usually the case of
unknowing folks who have sunk big money into building a stainless steel
boiler and when they learn about chloride stress corrosion they refuse to
admit they made a big mistake.  Pride.

Best regards,

Orrin

Orrin Iseminger