[AT] gravely sickle mower

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Mon Oct 3 10:06:52 PDT 2005

Well, Cecil, the Troy-Bilt sickle bar mowers are no longer being built.
Anything you find for sale that is new, is NOS.  I stopped in and looked
at the one here locally this morning.  It was built in 1995 and has seen
almost no use.  The engine (4 horse Briggs) started on the first pull,
and mechanically this thing is like new.  It runs very quietly.  The
asking price was $300.  I hesitated, and he immediately came down to
$250.  You do understand, that I'm in the show rooms of all the local
dealers often enough that they recognize me even though they may not
remember my name.  So anyway, since the dealer said he had two inquiries
about it this morning (neither one was me) I went ahead and bought it.
The only thing it needs is replacement sections on the knife.  Those are
standard combine sections, so that's a piece of cake.

I bought this for you, but if the price is out of line or if you decide
you don't want it, that's OK.  I'll either keep it myself, or I'll
resell it.  I had the Jeep with me this morning instead of the pickup (I
just wasn't thinking) so I didn't bring it home with me.  The dealer is
going to deliver it to another of his local showrooms (for my
convenience) in a couple of days and I'll pick it up from there.  He's
even throwing in a pallet for it for free.  That's no biggee because
pallets are always a pain to get rid of.  He mentioned that he might
give me six of them so I can construct a crate for shipping.  :-)

The only thing this unit needs for it to be in "like new" operation is
new sections.  The question is: Do you want the thrill of installing
them, or do you want me to do it for you?  I ask this because I have a
Hershel-Adams riveting tool and I can replace the whole knife in less
than a half hour.  BTW, this has a 36-inch cut and it has the safety
blade guard with it.

I had another dealer searching nationally for anything new or used that
might be available, but when I bought this one I had him cancel his
search.  When I told him the specs on this unit and what it cost, he
said I got a good deal.  But I used to work for this man!  He is first
and foremost a salesman.  He would tell me I did OK regardless of
whether or not he believed it.

So let me know whether or not you're interested in this mower.  I'm
guessing that shipping will run less than $100 from here to Oklahoma,
and if you want me to get replacement knife sections and install them
you're probably looking at around $400 for the whole project delivered
to you and ready to run.

Since this model is out of the lineup, it's difficult to find an MSRP on
it, but I think I remember the new price in the neighborhood of $650 to
$750.

Larry