[AT] OT Heating with wood

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Sat Oct 1 07:37:22 PDT 2005

My heater is about 25 years old but it has been used lightly and not at all
for several years.  It is an air-tight  design and the combustion air can be
completely shut off so that it just sits and smolders.  If I hook it back up
I don't intend for it to ever get really hot.  When mom used it or when I
used a similar one years ago we kept a pot of water or a tea kettle on top
of it.  If the water was simmering it was just right.  If the kettle starts
to whistle it's getting a bit hot.

Run like that it will keep the oil furnace from comming on except when it's
really cold out.  That's all I want it to do.  The problem with running it
like that is that it cooks a lot of creosote under those conditions.

Charlie