[AT] OT Heating with wood

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Sat Oct 1 08:31:29 PDT 2005

On 1 Oct 2005 at 10:37, charlie hill wrote:

> My heater is about 25 years old but it has been used lightly
> and not at all for several years.  It is an air-tight
> design and the combustion air can be completely shut off
so
> that it just sits and smolders.  If I hook it back up I
> don't intend for it to ever get really hot.  When mom
used
> it or when I used a similar one years ago we kept a pot
of
> water or a tea kettle on top of it.  If the water was
> simmering it was just right.  If the kettle starts to
> whistle it's getting a bit hot.
>
> Run like that it will keep the oil furnace from comming
on
> except when it's really cold out.  That's all I want it
> do.  The problem with running it like that is that it
cooks
> a lot of creosote under those conditions.
>
> Charlie

	You should pretty much have a chimney fire almost
everyday...   Some do it in the morning but it is better to
do it when the chimney has already warmed up some. Then
fire it hot and with an open air intake for about a half
hour and bring the whole thing up hot enough to burn it
out. If the house gets too warm open a door. It is much
more important when the weather is just chilly and fires
are small. I suspect that where you live that is most of
the winter. Here when temps are near or below zero, buildup
is not usually a problem. I have never had to clean a
chimney at 20 below.   :-)   With the pellet stove I just
never have to clean it. I have an inspection plug and I
keep looking but it just never builds anything up. I have
never found them available here yet but I keep reading
about pellets made of recycled paper instead wood by-
products. It is said that they are quite clean to handle
and burn.

--
"farmer"
Hewick Midwest