[AT] OT Heating with wood/now waste oil

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sat Oct 1 08:13:56 PDT 2005

Finally trying to catch up some of this ATIS mail now that harvest has shut
down due to rain here. I have not read all the numerous postings on wood
heat but did have a comment specific to my own situation.
A few years ago we went away from supplementary wood heat mainly for
insurance reasons. The Ins. company has a wood heat surcharge that amounts
to quite a bit over time and takes away a lot of the cost savings from
burning wood. It began to look like I was cutting and burning wood more for
the exercise and "atmosphere" of wood heat than any major financial savings.
With the recent predictions of a 28% increase of our natural gas prices I
have been re-considering the wood heat option again.
It would not be with the old original kitchen stove though. The new airtight
wood burners are far more efficient heating.
Firewood is plentiful and free for the taking on my farms requiring only my
own manual labour and whatever fuel the old Cockshutt 40 burns powering the
buzz saw. (You see I did find an antique tractor connection to this story).
Charlie I am sure I have read about waste oil burning attachments for
furnaces too.

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/