[AT] OT Heating with wood

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sat Oct 1 05:14:20 PDT 2005

I had exactly the same situation several years ago with my oil burner
chimney - it was so bad that fumes were getting into the house and
setting off the smoke detectors. The local chimney sweep company
suggested two alternatives: 1. a flexible stainless steel liner pipe, or
2. a pumped in lining. I chose the latter. What they do is stick a long
fabric "sausage" down the chimney from above and partially inflate it.
Then they pump some kind of semi-liquid down around the sausage so that
it fills up the space between the bricks and the sausage, inflating the
sausage a little more to press the material into place. After a short
while the lining material has hardened sufficiently to remove the
sausage, and the lining is left to fully harden. This method is slightly
more expensive than the stainless steel pipe and is guaranteed for 30
years, which is enough for me. :-)

My wood burning insert sits in a fireplace with its own modern chimney.
I haven't used it for a couple of years, but I think that, with the high
fuel oil prices, I will be firing it up this winter. The problem is that
it is an older model, and even with the gaskets replaced, it still
throws out so much heat that it makes the room uncomfortable.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any
other reason but because they are not already common. -John Locke,
philosopher (1632-1704)