[Farmall] 706 and diesel oil missed.(long)

mmman at netscape.com mmman at netscape.com
Tue Nov 29 09:33:13 PST 2005

Missing gasoline has always been with us.  Thirty five years ago all my tractors were LP or diesel, but I owned an AII Gleaner combine with that big 44 gallon gas tank high up in the air.  At that time I bailed hay for the public and did some custom farming--I worked lots of high school boys who found that stealing gas out of that combine was easy as stealing from the bulk tanks.  Young boys with a date and no money will steal fuel when they would starve rather than steal food.
I bought a bigger Gleaner with Diesel engine and in one week, found that two of my employees trucks had "carb" problems and had to be pulled home.

Having said that, most of the young men who worked for me never stole as much as a cotter pin--they knew I would give or loan them whatever they needed.  Some worked for several years through school and college.
Bear
-
Used to keep a couple of five gallon cans full of gas for my tractors and generator use during hurricanes.  The cans kept coming up missing.