[AT] Air compressors?

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Sun Nov 27 11:55:46 PST 2005

I second the motion on the extreme noise of an oil-less compressor.  My
brother has a 5-hp 220 volt Sears oil-less unit
with fairly good-sized horizontal tank.  While it puts out a huge volume of
air, the noise level is unbelievably high.  I can't attest as to the life
expectancy of the unit.  Although he has had his for several years I would
estimate the running time at around 3 hours per year. so at the rate he
uses it the unit should last him many years.  I have heard of some people
puttting their air compressors outdoors or in an unheated area to get away
from the noise.  However, there is no way I would consider such a thing as
I am a firm believer in having that type of equipment heated when
possible.  For one, it is much easier on the equipment to start up in warm
conditions and when I had my compressor in an unheated shop, in the winter
I had all kinds of trouble with moisture freezing the compressor switch so
that either it would not start or it would freeze in the run position and
then blow off the safety relief valve, or it would freeze the release valve
on the pressure switch that releases the air upon shutdown so that it can
start up on the next cycle.  My opinion would be if it is mainly to be a
portable unit to push around for inflating tires, go with the
oil-less.  Otherwise, spend the bucks and get a "good" oil-type compressor.

Another thought on either one...I have 2 cousins who farm on the bigger
side and have quite a few truck tires to inflate.  The cousin who farms the
most acres bought a new compressor a few years ago with large capacity,
however it shuts off at 135 lbs. and starts at 120 lbs.  The help has
complained to me that when it comes to inflating some of the truck tires
which requires as high as 110 psi, it is a slow, time-consuming
project.  The other cousin asked me for suggestions.  I researched it and
we got a 2-stage compressor which pumps 175 psi, which saves them a lot of
time on truck tires.   So I guess the bottom line is: determine how you
want to use it and go from there.

Greg  Hass