[AJD] $300 Ebay JD gas cap

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Sun Nov 20 10:44:31 PST 2005

Sorry for the delay in posting this, and I guess you have already gotten a
sense of what shill bidding is from the other follow-up posts.   I'll
answer anyways though because I want to mention another resource too:
Shill bids are fake bids from the seller or his friends meant to push real
bidders up as far as they might go.   Its a delicate game the seller has to
be careful with, but it will usually yield an extra 10-15% for the seller,
especially on Ebay so it is very common.

So I use auctionstealer.com.  I don't do this because I think snipe bidding
is all that useful(though I think it has been helpful from time to time),
but it does prevent shill bidding when bidding is not very competitive and
allows me to set a price a little more objectively than I might in the
excitement of last minute bidding.  I put in the most I want to pay, and
forget about it.  They bid in the last few seconds for me whether I am at
work, driving, or eating dinner.   It is free(though there are extra
capabilities for a fee) and very reliable.   My last bid goes in the last
15 seconds.   If I am very paranoid about the seller or the item is
expensive, I pay the extra 2 bucks to get the 2-5 second service.

Spencer Yost
Owner, ATIS
Plow the Net!
http://www.atis.net