[AT] Some ads from the 11/26 Lancaster Farming

Al Walker alwalker at gvtel.com
Wed Nov 30 21:15:10 PST 2005

Dudley Rupert wrote:

>Walt,
>The design/tread pattern of the front tires is something that I don't think
>I've ever seen on any other tractor before (although Miller Tire does show
>it as one of their front tire offerings) -
>They are a four (4) rib pattern, size 6.00 x 16.  A reference book that I
>have states that the standard tire size for an 8N front was 4.00 x 19 and I
>think it was a single rib pattern (The N guys on the list can verify/correct
>this).  So, if the 8N was delivered with 4.00 x 19 single rib fronts but
>this 8N has 4 rib 6.00 x 16 fronts then that may be making a difference in
>how it handles.  I can't think clearly this late at night (or any other time
>for that matter) but I would think that a bigger front tire would make the
>steering harder but I don't have any idea what the expected difference in
>handling would be due to the different tread pattern.  Maybe someone will
>have a comment on this.
>Dudley <snip>

Dudley,
I'm wondering if the spindle bearings got too short on grease in the
past, allowing them to rust. Maybe not enough to lock solid, but enough
to impair function. I recently bought a farm wagon with this "feature"
and now get to replace the spindle bearings on it. Just my .02 worth.
Al in NW MN