[AT] Some ads (Hard steering tractors )

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Wed Nov 30 07:44:25 PST 2005

I've read with interest the posts regarding "armstrong steering" tractors.
I've driven a few in my time. The Cockshutt 50 with cast front wheels has
got to be one of the heaviest. Followed closely by the 444 Massey Harris.
I've used my brother's Massey to push snow in the winter and the heavy
steering does have the benefit of keeping the driver somewhat warm with the
exertions of turning that heavy steering wheel.
I can't say that tires made much difference. We changed the Cockshutt 50
over from heavy cast wheels with 7.50x18 tires to cast centre/steel rims and
7.50x16 implement tires with very little improvement that I can recall. Went
through the whole steering system searching for problems but found none that
should have made it so much heavier than the almost identical Cockshutt 40.
Interestingly the 40 was always easier steering. We put used ten ply 7.50x16
truck tires on it over 30 years ago and they work well. Easy steering and
they seem like they will last as long as the rest of the tractor.
Now if I could just find a pair of ten ply 7.50x18 truck tires to put on the
MF Super 90 that I use as a front end loader tractor it would be a big
improvement. Those six ply triple ribs really flex and bulge even at 40 psi
when I'm loading gravel.

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/