[AT] Some ads from the 11/26 Lancaster Farming

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Tue Nov 29 21:28:58 PST 2005

I think Mattias is right ... my friend's 8N steering problem is most likely
the driver's receding biceps and not the tractors steering.  And I think
Larry and Walt are also right ... if we would just drive Larry's McCormick
10/20 or Walt's Case LA we could get our perspectives adjusted sufficiently
such that the next time we drove the 8N we would think that some mystery
person had installed power steering in it.

Seriously, this afternoon we did jack up the front of the tractor and remove
the rear tie rod ends from the Pitman arms.  This allowed us to turn the
steering gear from lock to lock and turn each front spindle independently
from lock to lock.  I didn't think there was any excessive drag/friction but
of course there was no load (weight) on the steering either.  We then took
the 8N out for a test flight on the gravel drive and hard surfaced private
road and did some slow maneuvers with high left and right bank angles.
After scratching our "heads" we concluded that maybe that's where our
problem has been all along.  Neither of us had started complaining about the
8N having hard steering until after we drove my MF35 with power steering.
My friend knows a couple of guys who have 8Ns so he's going to see if he can
drive them to get a comparison.

Thanks for the inputs -
Dudley
Snohomish, Washington