[AJD] Check out Harbor freights sale on 8000lb winches

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Tue Nov 29 19:24:19 PST 2005

John:

Intuitively, I agree with you but I don't think we know enough to say that
the HF winch is built all that differently than a name brand version. There
are times when buying the best isn't necessarily the most prudent. It only
comes up for me when buying something I'm not going to use very often. Like
some specialty tools where the high priced spread is much, much higher
priced than HF.

A reverse example I will use. When I bought my first 1/2" drive Torque
Wrench a few years ago I could have bought a cheap one from Harbor freight
but for this particular application, I'd like a better product.  Bought a
Sears Craftsman version for $99.00 with a lifetime warranty. Probably not
the best T?R made but I anticipated decent quality. Used it less than 10
times in a couple of years before it broke. Took it back to Sears for a
replacement.  No Dice, they only have a 6 month warranty now. That really
set me off. A national retailer will not get by with that kind of BS.  To
make the story short, I now own a new replacement Craftsman Torque Wrench,
free of charge, with a written lifetime warranty. Sears really lost a lot of
my respect over that lack of business ethic.

Now, while I was fighting with Sears, I bought a Harbor Freight 1/2" drive
Torque Wrench, on sale, for $9.99 ($9.99 not $99.99) and have used it for
several years w/o problems and it too has a lifetime warranty. What is wrong
with this picture? The only negative for the HF T/R is I don't like the
looks of it, but it does the job which is more important.

Is it possible the HF winch has the same attributes? I don't easily buy into
the fact that something higher priced is always better. Just compare prices
on the same identical product from full retail to deeply discounted on the
Internet. Sometimes that price may vary by 50%.

I would need to know more about how the HF Winch works and is built before I
would predict its durability. Maybe it's just slower. I don't know enough to
bad mouth it.

YMMV.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290