[AJD] Steering wheel restoration 1939 H

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Tue Nov 29 16:05:51 PST 2005

Bill:

Hopefully someone on the list can give you a more specific answer but I have
seen somewhere, specific coating material intended for steering wheels.
Probably in an automotive restoration environment. I doubt conventional
metal paint is going to stick to the material the original tractor steering
wheel was made out of. It's maybe a rubber compound or even more like
bakelite. Therefore it will probably not pick up the original look and
texture.

I've seen a paint or a coating specifically for steering wheels but now
cannot give you a good reference other than Tip Tools sells a kit that
probably has one of the ingredients you need.  I'm sure the kit below is
designed for a normal automotive steering wheel rather than a tractor
steering wheel.

www.tptools.com

Kit includes: POR-15® Epoxy Putty™, contoured sanding block, red scuff pad,
gloves, polyester primer and surfacer with hardener, spray bottle for primer
and enamel, high-gloss polishing compound, saw, file, drill bit, Marine
Clean™, sanding board, tack cloth, and gray scuff pad sandpaper. Made in
USA.

I think the biggest problem you have is to get whatever coating you put on
to stick permanently.

I've not taken on the task you are trying to accomplish. I take the easy way
out and just buy a replacement reproduction steering wheel. They really are
not all that expensive if you consider your labor has some value.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

Forbidden fruits create many jams!

www.deerelegacy.com