[Farmall] Farmall H with Bucket

Frank DeWitt Frank at lbpinc.com
Mon Nov 28 20:06:16 PST 2005

I don't know about the Massey but I can tell you about the H  There is an
excellent web site for the H at http://www.farmall-h.com/

It is rated at about 28 hp  (varies with the year.)  I have a 200 which is
basically a super C (smaller then an H ) and it moves snow very well.
With any of these tractors with a factory bucket you will probably want to
rig some sort of plow that you can quickly connect to the bucket. or mount
instead of the bucket.  The plow will be better until the snow is too deep
or heavy to plow, then the bucket will be slower but will dig you out of
anything.
Note Hs  did not have power steering (perhaps a few after market)  The
bucket will be a workout.  When you look at it rais the bucket about 1 ft
and drive it around and see what you think.

BTW  Many of the Rochester sidewalks are plowed with Hs (yes still)  They
are parked across the street from Gleasons and they have been narrowed and
have a big heavy V plow but are otherwise pretty stock.

The H is a Row crop tractor.  It was made tall to cultivate crops as they
grew.  That makes it a bit hard to get into a average garage and not to
good on side hills but otherwise is not a problem.  Because of ware I grew
up I think they look like a proper tractor and I like them.

Real basic Farmall from that time.

Cub, 1 plow  A and B 1 to 2 plow  C 2 plow  H 3 plow  M 4 plow. My
experience (Limited) is that the Cub and A cost more then a C, H, or M  I
think this is because the C, H, and M are considered 2 big for the 1 acre
yard  people and the C and H are a little to small and old for todays farms
(Although you still see a lot of them in use doing the light jobs)

In short, you can get a lot of tractor for the money with a H

 From the H web site.  Here are a few things that an H is not a good choice
for:

Mowing lawns or other work where you need to work under trees a lot
Storing in a garage or other building with a door not much higher than a car
Using with a front end loader (although some people do it, the H is not the
ideal tractor for this)
Using on steep hillsides - for this a lower-to-the-ground wide front
tractor is a better choice
Using by people who are not physically agile - the great view that the H
seat offers takes a climb to achieve

To whom it might, etc.....
   In the Rochester paper two tractors were offered for purchase.   One is
a Massey Ferguson T030 w/3.0 @ $1800 and the other is a Farmall  "H"
w/loader @ $1500.  Obviously, I know that this is very  little information
upon which to offer any kind of opinion, but I would  like to know what
(any) of you think on the surface of it.  I live  in Rochester and the
tractors are in Syracuse.  I have a call in  to the ower, but have not
heard anything as of yet.  I don't know  the year of manufacture, the fuel
(is the M/F diesel or gas, for  example) the basic condition, wide or
narrow front, any other  implements, etc.
   Can you (at least) give a sketch of the power of these things?  I  would
be interested in using one or the other to move some snow, so the  bucket
thing is attractive to me.
   My thanks in advance.
   Jim Moran
  Frank DeWitt

  Light plant WEB page
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/frank>http://www.oldengine.org/members/<http://www.oldengine.org/members/frank>frank
  Mechanical Design      mailto:frank at lbpinc.com
  LBP  INC.              Phone:  585 624 3052
  2365 Cox Rd.           Fax     585 624 1038
  Bloomfield NY 14469    Web   http://www.lbpinc.com

HONOR GOD
SERVE PEOPLE
DEVELOP EXCELLENCE
GROW PROFITABLE
FOLLOWING BIBLICAL PRINCIPLES

    Frank DeWitt              |  mailto:frank at lbpinc.com
    Mechanical Design      |  Phone:  585 624 3052
    LBP  INC.                   |  Fax     585 624 1038
    2365 Cox Rd.              |     N 42.9130  W
77.5164|
    Bloomfield NY 14469   |Web   http://www.lbpinc.com