[AT] Air compressors?

Jim and Lyn Evans jevans at evanstoys.com
Sun Nov 27 16:08:00 PST 2005

The oil-less ones are very loud.  I use one and it is in a different
building than the one I normally work in.  They really aren't as disposable
as some would have you believe.  Mine gets used pretty hard for a home-owner
owned compressor.  It is a 6HP Craftsman (really about .3 HP).  I use it for
painting, air tools-  including running die grinders for hours at a time,
and for small sand blasting jobs.  The rod bearing is a standard sealed ball
bearing.  The cylinder and rings are replaceable, and cost about $16,
including postage from Sears.  I did wear the rings and cylinder completely
out already  It had got so bad that the compressor would not pump past 80
psi.  Spending the $16 made it like new again.  I have another ring and
cylinder set on the shelf for the next time it wears out.   Sometimes, the
compressor runs constantly for so long that the air tank is too hot to rest
your hand on.  I can't imagine how hot the compressor and motor is.  Maybe I
just got a really good one :)
The oil-less is nice for painting, since you only have to worry about water
vapor.

I would much rather have - and my next one will be a 5 or 6 (real) HP two
stage cast iron compressor with at least an 80 gallon tank.  Budget reasons
made me buy the one I have now.  It is probably around 8 years old now.

My shop is completely plumbed with 3/4 copper lines, which takes care of the
water problem and also adds about 6 gallon to the total air volume.  The
compressor is in the neighboring building and has a 1/2" hose that connects
it to the Copper shop lines.

Jim.