[AT] Machine info wanted

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Sun Nov 27 12:47:13 PST 2005

In the late 60s, a neighbor of ours had a machine made by JI Case.  It
would cut the corn off, pick the cob and then run the stalk through a
chopper.  It had an elevator on the back like a corn-picker, and the
chopper had a hood like a normal corn-chopper that would blow the chopped
material to the side and into a wagon.  Although I never saw it used this
way, other neighbors said you pulled wagoin behind for the cobs, and it had
a side hitch which pulled the chopper wagon.  Most of the years I remember
it being used he had a side plate off which blew the chopped stalks back in
the field.  It sure made plowing cornstalks easy.  Only for a couple of
years at the end (in the 70s) did I see him use it as a picker/chopper.  At
that time the chopper box was pulled by a separate tractor and driver who
followed beside the machine as it was being operated.  The chopped stalks
were then fed to brood cows.  People I talk to now say such a machine never
existed, but I remember seeing it operating for at least 6 years.  Any
information, pictures, etc. of such a machine would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone has a picture of an AC60 combine with a 2-row corn head, I
would appreciate it if such picture could be e-mailed to me in a printable
form.

Greg Hass