[AT] Air compressors?

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Sun Nov 27 10:30:54 PST 2005

On Saturday 26 November 2005 07:21 pm, Al Jones wrote:
> Well our farm air compressor has gone "ka-put" and we have decided to
> trade up.  I need to be taken to school on them.  I have seen some
> pretty snazzy looking "oil-less" units, with upright 20-30 gallon tanks.
> They are nice and compact and look pretty powerful in terms of CFM and
> so forth.  Are they any good? The brand I was looking at was
> Campbell-Hausfield.  All we need is a little 25-30 gallon unit that we
> can wheel around, main duties will be to air up tires (every shape and
> size) and maybe run a pressure fed (not HVLP) paint gun.

Those who use oilless compressers daily consider them disposable - they  buy a
new one every few months.   The small 2-4 gallon compressors are easy to
carry to from the job site every day (so you don't tempt thieves by leaving
it behind at the end of the day).   If you use is daily, then you need to
budget for replacing the compressor every year or so.

Oil-less compressors generally have a low duty cycle - you shouldn't spray
with them because they will overheat and break sooner.
(If you are only spraying a small amount this isn't a problem, but for
something large this can be an issue)

Everyone with an oil-less compressor should have a 100 foot hose (or several)
so it doesn't have to be in the same room as them.   When working outside
this isn't a problem, but you need hearing protection if you are working
inside with them.

Once you forget the upfront cost, you will be much happier with a big oil
compressor and some long hoses (I like the poly-urethane hoses, but they are
about a buck a foot so I don't have many).    In the short run an oil-less
compressor is cheaper.    If you only use a little air the oilless compressor
will last a lifetime, but you will hate it every time you use it.   You will
rarely think of a good oiled compressor.

Your call.   I personally have an oilless compressor.  It works, but I really
want a bigger oiled compressor.