[Farmall] Timing setting on Cub

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Nov 23 14:51:35 PST 2005

The rotor should point to approximately "2 o'clock" when firing on
cylinder no. 1.

Remember that the piston will be at TDC twice for every revolution the
distributor shaft, so you could be right on the money or 180 degrees
out. You need to stick your finger over the spark plug hole and feel the
pressure building up as the piston rises. Then you will know that you
are on the compression stroke. If you are 180 degrees out, you will have
that backfire problem.

Also, make sure that your firing order is correct and that you have the
direction of magneto rotation correct (I got is backwards once and had a
heck of a time figuring out what was wrong.)

Mike

ZIMMY833 at aol.com wrote:
> I have a 1952 Cub with a magneto system that "snaps" the rotor cap past the
> plug wire pickup. I had to remove the governor to repair it and the
> positioning  is all messed up. The engine fires but it backfires and will not run,
> telling me  the timing is definitely off. Any suggestions or procedure on how to
> set the  timing correctly. I brought the cylinder closest to the radiator to TDC
> and the  rotor cap is at approximately an 8 o'clock position in the
> distributor  cap.  HELP PLEASE!

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

The most certain test by which we can judge whether a country is really
free is the amount of security enjoyed by minorities. -Lord Acton (John
Emerich Edward Dalberg-Acton), historian (1834-1902)