[Ford-ferguson] Implements that work with a 9N

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sun Nov 20 10:55:50 PST 2005

Generally speaking, any implement that will work with an 8N will work on
a 9N. (The 2N and 9N are essentially the same tractor.) The main
functional differences between the 9N/2N and 8N is that the 8N has a 4
speed transmission, lockout for the draft control, foot boards, and both
brake pedals are on the right side.

As far as which implements you can use on your tractor, the answer is
you can use any Category I three point implement design to be mounted on
a 20 hp tractor. That would include such things as a 5' brush cutter, 2
bottom plow, various planters, cultivators, disk harrows, 6' scraper
blade, etc. If you want to run either a rough or finish mower, I
strongly suggest that you also install an overrunning clutch on the PTO
shaft, or the is the danger of the mower driving the tractor forward by
its own inertia.

One caution: very early 9N tractors came equipped with an undersized (1
1/8") pto shaft, and you either need to change the shaft (not a big
deal) to the larger 1 3/8" size or attach an adapter (cheaper and
quicker, but not always satisfactory. You can also get overrunning
clutches for the PTO that accomplish the same function, but they are not
all that easy to find.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

The most certain test by which we can judge whether a country is really
free is the amount of security enjoyed by minorities. -Lord Acton (John
Emerich Edward Dalberg-Acton), historian (1834-1902)