[Steam-engine] RE: feedwater

Lawrence Swanz LSwanz at superioriron.com
Thu Nov 17 06:46:47 PST 2005

Jim,

Good point.  One inspectors interpretation of an acceptable repair doesn't necessarily meet with another's.  Case in point, a Baker boiler here in Minnesota had a bad door ring.  The design of this boilers door ring was to extrude the firebox sheets out to a point to meet with the back sheet, which extruded out away from the exterior of the boiler.  These two sheets were then riveted together.  A cast door ring cover covered the rivets and protruding metal.  Anyway, the thinned area was in the knuckle of the radius, which is naturally thinner from the forming/bending process.  Anyway, you are not allowed to weld in the area of a radius, so it was decided to cut out and remove this whole extruded area to a point where both the firebox and exterior sheets were flat and flush with the vertical planes of the sheets.  Then they installed an elliptical ring to replace the removed material.  This, in mine and others opinion, is clearly a change in design.  But not according to the inspector on hand or the state for that matter.  Now please understand, by far I approve of the repair, as it makes it a better repaired connection.  But if you go by what the code states, this would not be considered an alteration to design.

I have found that most boiler inspectors I have dealt with over the years are pretty genuine fella's and they aren't exactly out there to shut us down, but rather to ensure that we have as safe of equipment as we can to operate.  It is with good communication and openness with the inspectors that will make for a lasting friendship.  If you are aware or concerned about an area of your boiler.  Don't try and hide it, but rather embrace it and bring it to their attention.  It may be nothing, but is it worth taking the chance just for a few extra pounds of pressure.  Remember, you are the one riding on the hot seat!

Lawrence