[Steam-engine] Big FBM vertical started with Steam compressor

Richard Strobel Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com
Tue Nov 15 06:19:03 PST 2005

G'day all;
  Well I finally got the real story on this display down at the Barnes Steam
and Power show.  Here's the boiler and rather large Ingersol Sargent
Steam/Air Compressor..note the large air tank:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/87230418/87484390YUgaLN

The compressed air is piped underground to the FBM for starting..here's the
FBM:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/87230418/87231092MsCWEP

Thanks to Gary Yaeger for explaining this setup...here's his description:

"
Rick,
I wonder if John Hochstettler no longer comes their show?  He used to be the
FBM guy.  John would get their propane torch over at the FBM and pre-heat
the copper "glow plug" pins.  Meanwhile over at the Broderick boiler,
pressure is setting on 150 PSI and everyone is in place to run the 700 hp
Ingersol Sargent steam compressor.  One of the Barnes' would climb up to the
main steam valve, crack it open so the condensate would blow out of all ends
of the cylinders, gradually speeding the RPMs until the cylinder cocks could
be shut.  Then they'd open the main valve until it was running full speed.
When the compressor storage tank was near the top, they'd open a large valve
that ran underground to the FBM.  It would start turning over and would soon
"light up."  The IR compressor was shut down, as the boiler was dreained way
down anyway, and someone would release the rest of the pressure in the
compressor tank.  I don't remember exactly how the FBM was controlled, but
he'd let it almost stop, then send more diesel fuel.  After a huge explosive
backfire, it'd take off again.  Only one cylinder runs in a steady pull.
Throttling it back, then opening the throttle, it'd run on both cylinders,
until it got up to speed again.  Pretty simple, huh?