[AJD] Delco generator 1102761??

Michael Dixon mpmbd at yadtel.net
Mon Nov 14 14:07:04 PST 2005

The Farmall tractors also used Delco electrics on many models up through
1978 at least. Some of the Farmall models had three brush generators plus a
regulator. The three brush with regulator was the second step in the
evolution of charging systems. On the forum YT MAG, at the Farmall/IH
section, a man named BobM posts and is the most knowledgeable individual
about charging systems that I have encountered- plus a first class gentleman
to boot. Search their archives for his posts or post your new question
there. Basically, the speed of a generator determines the voltage output,
more speed, more voltage. The third brush limited the maximum amperage
output of the generator. Excess amperage output is what burns up the
generator. Limiting the field exciter voltage will limit the voltage output.
Many tractors with relay-only had a low charge switch position which
introduced a resistor in the field circuit to reduce the charge rate when
desired. The 2-coil regulators had one coil for the relay, the other was
either a voltage regulator or a two-winding on one core with that unit
crudely controlling both voltage and amperage. 3-coil regulators are more
precise in their control. In the old auto parts catalogs, regulators were
matched to the generator. For example, a 30 amp generator matched to a 40
amp regulator might result in premature burnout of the generator. Who knows
about the specs of today's after market units?