[AJD] Delco generator 1102761??

Bill Brueck b2 at chooka.net
Sun Nov 13 05:40:10 PST 2005

Yes, the smaller pulley on the ag/industrial engines helped a lot to get
that generator RPM up.  The problem was to get the generator to start in the
first place.  The generator depends upon the residual magnetism in the case
and pole shoes to get excited.  Once excited it carries itself just fine.
This became a bigger problem with alternators, where the field essentially
moved to the armature and the case contained the generating coils.  I bought
a JD B a while back that someone had tried to convert to alternator and
never got it running for this reason.  I added a push button to the dash of
the tractor to manually excite the rotor, just pushed it once after the
tractor was started and the alternator worked fine.

That extra winding I spoke of was not OEM spec, it was our little
contribution to the cause.  We also added extra paper between the windings
where they were crossed and thus stressed at the non-commutator end.  Not
something you could do with an automated winder, I expect, but ours was a
home made unit, long predated me.  It was a nice product we put out.  Of
course, the major cause of armature failure was still the run-away voltage
regulator, nothing could withstand that load and ours would burn up when
that happened, too.

It sticks in my mind that the generators with bands were usually the 3-brush
model.  I expect there was a 2-brusher along in there that I've forgotten
about.  Just don't replace one with the other unless you match the regulator
/ cutout.  You can wire a regulator to just use the cutout in a pinch, but
you can't go the other way.  I got my father in law's MD Farmall going this
past couple of years by mounting an old voltage regulator and just using the
cutout circuit.  He had somebody local work on it for him and they had it
all crossed up.

Ah, the advantages of gray hair and missing teeth!

B²

Bill Brueck (brick)
Chatfield, MN, USA

Confusion is a higher state of knowledge than ignorance.