[AJD] Delco generator 1102761??

Bill Brueck b2 at chooka.net
Sat Nov 12 21:30:50 PST 2005

I thought the auto and tractor generators of that vintage were electrically
interchangeable but the end plates were different; the automotive
applications were open for lots of air flow, the tractors were usually more
enclosed to limit dust buildup.  I worked in an auto electric shop in the
60's and we used the same armatures in both, and perhaps the same field
coils, although we so seldom had to replace field coils I am not so sure
about that.  We wound our own armatures and actually wound the tractor ones
with an extra winding, that made them cut in a little better at slower
speeds.  But they were still interchangeable when we didn't have the right
one built up.

So my expectation is that a generator off a 6v Chevy would work fine in a
voltage-regulated Deere, but to the critical eye it wouldn't be original.
Be sure and polarize it, the Chevy would be neg ground and the Deere
positive.

Been a lot of water under the bridge since then and I've been known to
forget a few things, so feel free to jump in with contrasting opinions.

B²

Bill Brueck (brick)
Chatfield, MN, USA

Confusion is a higher state of knowledge than ignorance.