[Farmall] 1925 M/D 10-20

Andy glines pioneersop96 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 8 13:36:38 PST 2005

You're doing fine James.  I'm glad that you came to
ATIS with this project.  You will find a lot of good
advice here from folks who have "been there and done
that"  When working on this old stuff you must use two
things liberally.....oil and patience.  When you use
penetrating oil on a stuck engine or fastener give it
days or even weeks to work.  Apply oil to whatever you
want to take apart weeks ahead of time so it has time
to soak in and do its thing.  Today someone pointed
out that you should pay special attention to the
valvetrain.  Often an engine isn't really stuck but
rather a couple of valves are stuck preventing the
easy turning of the engine.  Make sure that the valves
are free before applying force to turn the engine.  If
your valves are free I suspect that you will merely
have surface rust in the cylinders which the oil you
put into the spark plug holes should remedy.  Make
sure that the clutch is really stuck before you worry
to much about it.  Ask lots of questions someone will
know the answer.  If we don't answer ask again!  The
person who knows the answer may have been on vacation
or something.  It sound like you have come across the
perfect tractor for your first priject.  Its complete
and probably needs little more than a spruce-up before
you can play with it.  As far as a new paint job, its
your tractor do what you want.  If you attend a show
you will see machines in all states from rusty but
trusty to better than new.  Old iron folks appeciate
them in all forms.  If you chose to repaint take lots
of before pictures to share.  Many questions can be
answered by seeing a machine in its "original" form
and the opportunity doesn't come often.  Your grade is
an "A"  You'll find this to be a fun hobby with lots
of great people!

--- James Moran <jrmoraninc at yahoo.com> wrote:

> MS-
> I just posted a "run down" of what I did with the
> 10-20 this morning.  Hopefully, I didn't make a bad
> thing worse.  Please review and give me the grade
> that
> I earned. :-)
> How are the exit polls running?
> JM