[Farmall] 1925 M/D 10-20

James Moran jrmoraninc at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 8 09:48:57 PST 2005

As Stephen Stills wrote (CSNY)...."So begins the task,
etc.".
This day the first meagher work commenced.  Before
starting, my neighbor took some digital images of both
the H-'n-M and the 10-20.  I should be able to pass
them on to those interested tomorrow, though the exact
approriate posting procedure is unknown to me at this
moment.
First, after the "Kodak moment" thing, I removed the
hood and the ventilated side panels.  This arrangement
is joined together in four sections with piano-style
hinges.
Second, the head cover was removed.  The push rods
were, basically, free with the exception of the first
of them (front of the machine).  As I mentioned once
before, I anticipated finding a rodent housing
project.  Sadly, I was not disappointed.  There was
what appeared to be quilting material in shreds
throughout the engine compartment.  Cleaned it off as
best I was able.  Delightful aroma, may I add. :-)
Next, the wiring was disconnected from the plugs.
BTW, the wires look pretty good, but that is strictly
external/superficial.
The first of the four plugs released with what I would
describe as a "5" on a "10 scale" of force and effort.
 The front-most plug....different story.  It was only
with the aid of a length of pipe around the drive
handle that it was finally extricated.
Tomorrow...hernia doctor.
Know that the plugs were a bit "wet" which I take as a
positive.
Depite your assurance that, with a strong light, I
would be able to see down inside, I could not.
The ATF mixture was poured in as directed and that was
that for the day.
I figure to let is stew for a while and, then, see if
it frees up at all.  I assume that it may be necessary
to repeat the "penetrating solution" thing.  Please
advise as to this.
I looked for a dipstick but one did not jump out at
me.  How does one check oil levels?
I don't know if what I did today qualifies as
progress, but that is what I did.
Hmmm....
JM