[Steam-engine] boiler feedwater injector conection

Blake blake at little-mountain.com
Mon Nov 7 23:30:58 PST 2005

I tried to answer some questions yesterday, but the email didn't
go through.

As far as a feed water line into the vertical boiler under
discussion, I would not run it into the bottom as it would stir up
the sludge as water is put in. I would run it into the top of the
boiler, but I would put a pipe inside the boiler to a point well
below the water level, but not too close to the tube sheet.

As far as whether to keep dissolved solids and sludge
(precipitated junk) in suspension, or let it settle out - I would
say definately let it settle out so it can be blown out with the
blowdown valve. Dissolved solids in the water will continue to
build up as more impure water is introduced and clean water is
evaporated as steam. The dissolved solids will cause high
conductivity, scaling of the tubes, priming, and a bunch of bad
things. You have to get rid of it. There are standards as to how
much blowdown there should be in relation to how much water is fed
to the boiler. A surface blowdown is good too as it will remove
lighter stuff that does not settle out. Bottom blowdown should be
opened wide at least once a day with full steam pressure.

If you can check conductivity of your boiler water, we try to keep
it around 5000 microhms at work. Conductivity will basically tell
you the amount of dissolved solids in your water.

For the feed water lines, use a cross if you can as they give full
access to both directions for cleaning and inspecting.

Blake
Conneautville, Pa.