[AT] Q on setting up an AC 60 for Milo

Len Rugen rugenl at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 3 19:38:05 PST 2005

My fall harvest is turning into several races.  First,
it's going to have to get dry enough to get over the
field before the deer eat all the grain, then it's
going to wind is going to have to die down sometime so
I can burn a brush pile that my son piled in the road
to the shed where the combine is stored.  If all that
works out, then I'll need to setup my AC 60 to handle
milo.  There doesn't seem to be anything close in my
operators manual.

It's currently setup for soybeans, with half the
cylinder bars removed.  That setup works great for
oats with different sieves and air volumes.  I suspect
that milo may need all the cylinder bars, but I don't
really know.

Has anyone ever setup an AC 60 for milo?  If not, what
combine settings work for milo compared to soybeans,
oats or wheat?

We had never grown milo before, but it was wet early,
so it got too late for corn, then we had a very hot
and dry summer, which milo likes.  It was a race
between the milo and frost, but it has filled and it
doesn't look like it's frosted yet.  It's in a creek
bottom and it was foggy when it frosted, so I don't
think it hurt it.