[AJD] Cracks in heads

Steve Treimer steelerhawk at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 3 09:05:16 PST 2005

Great, just great.  I know for a fact Midwest Cylinder Head in Nevada will NOT, under ANY circumstances, "take back" their $495 welded head to fix a bad weld after their 90 day warantee.  I'll just pray it holds (so far so good) long enough for me to part with it so I can get me a little mid 80's 1650.  I love those tractors but they are so hard to find!
Steve

Gary Epps <garyepps at fidnet.com> wrote:
I couldn't get anyone to repair the head on the 35 D by welding it.
Everyone said they had too many of them "come back". I finally found a
guy that repaired it by 'pinning'. I have not run it much since the
repair, but so far it seems to be fine.

Gary

Chris C wrote:
> I have little experience with cast iron welding, or
> cracked heads, but I am now the proud owner of 3 JD A
> heads with 'heat cracks' in them.
>
> I also have 3 Caterpillar D7's, 3T models, (late
> 40's to early 50's) Notorious for cracking heads if
> they were run low on water. Some old timers say
> sometimes the small heat cracks 'won't even leak'
>
> So my question I guess, is could these heads have
> been running just fine? (The JD A ones) All of the
> cracks are in the 'face' of the head. Two have cracks
> in the valve seats of both cylinders, one has a crack
> in the metal above the valve seats of the #2 cylinder.
> (this one was also "tested" by the guy that sold it
> to me first.. hmm.. :( wonder if his eyes were open)
>

> Anyway, I am off the see mr. local head welder
> tomorrow. My question, has anyone run a 'cracked'
> head and had no problems?
>
> I would guess that first of all, a crack is
> going to expand and contract with the rest of the head
> as it heats so that crack certainly isn't going to get
> smaller if you keep running it..
>
> Chris

In the Ozark Mountains of South Central USA where both life and I move
at a leisurely pace.