[AT] hayride accident

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Wed Nov 2 19:06:42 PST 2005

Come on folks - This discussion isn't what AT is about.

Critiquing performance in the pursuit of learning is one thing, assigning
blame and finding fault is another.  In this case, and most similar
tragedies, there's enough blame and sadness to go around.  Because of that,
I say lets concentrate on the discussing lessons learned.  One of our list
members, Brice Adams, once told me in a conversation:  "Tragedies happen
when 2 or more lapses in judgment join forces".  That describes this
circumstance, so I say drop the blame game.  Assigning blame isn't
constructive and isn't "terribly enlightened thinking" - a phrase my
pheasant hunting Granddad **** used to use when I said something smug,
ignorant, or overly simplistic.

Lets build/discuss a list of lessons fully.  I know I have nearly been run
over in the 5 minutes it takes to go 1 mile between hay fields.  I've
resorted to a chase car because of it.  You'd think that short of distance
it would be years before any close calls.   But a close call seems to
happen every other time.

Spencer Yost
Owner, ATIS
Plow the Net!
http://www.atis.net

CAUTION: OFF TOPIC FOOTNOTE

**** My father's father hunted pheasants with a English Spaniel in PA(not
in ND and the reason I mention this since it was discussed recently).  Kept
hunting even though the pheasants and his health petered out in the 70s.
He started carrying an Ithaca featherweight 16 gauge in his later years
because of weight and I inherited it.   That thing, with high brass shells,
will leave serious bruises.