[Farmall] Final Drive Needed

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Wed Nov 2 15:35:32 PST 2005

I mentioned your problem to my dad, he put in over 20 years at an IH
dealership. If installing the correct drive doesn't solve the problem you
may want to look into this.
He suspects the bottom pinion shaft has had the nut/bolt to back off. You
acess it by breaking the tractor where the clutch housing and transmission
bolt up. Should be a cap there held on with 3 bolts if his memory is
correct. One of the A's here had this to happen years ago and the
transmission is still noisy today.

By the way, if your brakes are bad or you are leaking grease, you may want
to have a band and a seal ready when you swap the drives. Also check the
bolt holes where the drawbar bolts up before you install the new drive. Been
quite a few heli-coils put in those holes.

John Hall