[AT] re : hayride / accidents

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Wed Nov 2 04:50:47 PST 2005

Hi Dudley,

I don't disagree with you or Walt about tractors on the road.  In fact, here
in NC, farm tractors have the right of way on all roads except interstate
highways.  However, it is STILL dangerous.  You know yourself that when you
are driving 60 or 65 and you come up on a tractor going 13 mph it is easy to
over take the tractor faster than you think you are going too.  That  is
dangerous enough with a load of corn or hay behind you but not with your
family and friends providing the cushion between you and the bumper of the
truck.

As for the driver being charged with a DWI.  Maybe he was drunk and if so he
doesn't need to be on the highway but hold your breath for a few days.  The
legal blood alcohol limit for commercial drivers is WAY lower than it is for
other drivers in most states.   I think it is .02 compared to .08 here.
You can blow a .02 from rinsing your mouth with mouth wash or chewing sugar
free gum.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  Either way I'm sorry for
the dead, the injured, their families and everyone involved.

Charlie