[Farmall] Tractor engine power units

Karl Olmstead olmstead at ridgenet.net
Tue Nov 1 07:20:00 PST 2005

Sounds like you've come upon a treasure trove, Bear!  But before you go
crazy, you should keep in mind that these units generally sell for little
more than the price of scrap.  In the case of H and M power units, they are
big, heavy, and not good for a lot.  A few of the antique engine enthusiasts
collect them and set up interesting exhibits.  But most fellows prefer
smaller hit 'n miss engines in the 5 hp or less range.  In order to take
advantage of a power unit the size of an M engine, you need one heck of a
load.

You may find subtle differences between tractor and power unit engines.  For
instance, the C113 power unit probably has a hole for the starter right
about where one of the bell housing/torque tube bolts would be on a Farmall
C tractor engine.

Around here (southern CA), Case equipment sells very cheaply.  Not a lot of
demand, compared to Farmall.  And do you have sufficient storage for your
new 'bargain'?  Two barnloads is a lot of old iron...

-Karl