[Steam-engine] Valve Seat, too smooth

Andy glines pioneersop96 at yahoo.com
Mon May 9 13:32:03 PDT 2005

There is a ledge on the bottom of the valve seat that
the valve rides on and it was machined so I'm in good
shape there.  I did notice that the surface on the
Valve that rides on the ledge is not flat which will
make it prone to rocking.  I need to make the edge
flat again somehow or I think that I can simply turn
it over and use the edge that used to be on top.
Thanks for your input on surface finish.  I have honed
on the seat for awhile and knocked the top off of the
ridges left by the cutter.  I think that I will blue
it, using the valve for a reference, to see where I am
at.
--- Andre' Blanchard <andre at usermail.com> wrote:
> I do not think you can get it to smooth, I have
> books describing large
> stationary engines that say when you have the amount
> of cylinder lube set
> right the cylinder wall will get to a mirror finish
> after running for a
> while.  But they are running 24/7 with no chance for
> rust to get started.
> That said I think it unlikely you will be able to
> measure any difference in
> performance of the engine between just smoothing up
> the milled surface and
> giving it a mirror finish.  On mine little engine I
> milled the valve face
> and just went over it with a fine diamond hone (one
> I new was flat) to take
> the peaks off of the milling marks.
> If you hone it to much by hand the finish may get
> better but you may also
> be making the surface less flat unless you keep
> checking it against a
> reference surface.
>
> When they milled the valve face did they square up
> the bottom edge that the
> valve rides on?  Or is the Huber valve made
> differently?  On mine the valve
> face is vertical and there is a machined ledge at
> the bottom that the edge
> of the valve rides on and it was worn more then the
> valve face.  I machined
> the bottom edge of the valve and the mating ledge on
> the cylinder.
> Andre' B.  Clear Lake, Wi.

Andy Glines
Evansville, IN