[AJD] late B

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Tue May 31 23:38:04 PDT 2005

Guy:

It appears from JD's Tractor Production records: "Tractor Production John
Deere Waterloo Tractor works 1923-1960. Premier Issue of Tractor Digest
Published Spring 1994. That JD's production cycle for new model (next years)
production usually (some exceptions) in the June/July/August time frame and
ramping up with dips sometimes in the August, September months.

If one looks at the serial numbers of the new tractors built during those
starting months also coincides with significant changes to many different
parts with follow on typically minor changes occurring randomly during the
rest of the production year.  However, 1947 year models were a good example
of an exception year.

So I think my concept of model year changes holds water but a better
definition might be the last half of the year or starting about the middle
of the year. But not really noticeable at the dealer/farmer level until the
later months of the year.

I can see that JD would start production of the next year's (new) models
about mid year, start shipping and filling the distribution pipeline, branch
and dealer inventory and then have a big splash about the "New" models which
probably didn't occur in the actual field until months later in the same
year.

JD was pretty consistent with this production/major change cycle with some
notable exceptions.

So I still maintain that JD followed typical Automotive practice of making
major changes at the model year break which from a production point of view
occurred 6 or so months earlier.   But apparently didn't define them as the
next year's numerical number just that they were "new".  The Duck is still a
duck!  :-)

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door